Saturday, October 30, 2010

T4 Run

Injuries!!

Why the bloody hell do they occur???  I have spent the last 2months asking myself this very question.

3 weeks out from my goal, the Melbourne Marathon I was on my longest run, a timed 3hr run (sitting at about 5:20pace) after arriving home all was good, i felt strong, had plenty left in the tank and my body was in the best shape it had been for many years so everything was going to plan...  The next morning i wake with sharp unrelenting pain in my left knee that I initially thought was residual pain from the run, however that pain didn't go away and after many physio visits, an MRI and a chat with a sports doctor i had pushed myself that hard that i had an overuse injury of the left patella and rest and no running for 2 months was the prescription.

Today I'm back and I realise why (for me) this injury happened, I lost sight of why I run.... After struggling through a slow 8k run about 10mins ago, although it was tough i enjoyed every 36minutes of it and suddenly I realised  why I run,  running allowed me to file, release all my energy, especially after being chained to a desk for the entire day, I loved it.  I wasn't worried about time/splits 4x500's 4x200's sprint work, running was fun!!

So my injury has allowed me to understand why I run, which will assist me achieve my REALISTIC  goals for the coming year, work with a coach and a squad to gather more knowledge and support and most of all enjoy every run like it is my last!!

eddie



No comments:

Post a Comment