Sunday, November 7, 2010


T4 - Achievable Adventure - MTB

Port Macquarie - Tacking Point Lighthouse to Point Plommer (Part 1)



Date: 7/11/2010
Distance: 40km's approx (due to computer failure)
Trip Time: 4 hrs
Ride Time: 3 hrs
Bike: 07' Giant Rincon (slightly worked)

The skies had let go a great deal of rain over the last two days and after being confined to the house during this time (due also to lack of decent surf) it was time to work off all the built up energy. So I planned a trip which would included about 45% tarmac, 55% 4wd trail, and with a good smattering of sand and mud thrown in for good measure, which would take me from south of Port Macquarie to a great little surfing and camping spot known as Point Plommer.

The day started overcast but there was, according to the bureau, a great day ahead. So it was in to the weet-bix and then on to the packing. My equipment for the day was quite limited with a multi-tool, some spanners and tyre levers, camelbak, food and spray jacket (just in case) taking up most of the space in my small daypack. Next was a pre-departure check on the Giant. After recently fitting a few new parts, mainly a new wheelset and crankset, the pre-departure check took a little longer than usual. However at 8.00 am I set off.

First was a detour to the Lighthouse for a quick photo op and "Good Morning" to mother nature, I also received a "Good Morning" from my local Heartbreak Hill at this point. After the Lighthouse it was on to the tarmac for about 12km's to reach the Settlement Point Ferry, which would get me across the Hastings River. The ferry is free for pedestrians and luckily mountain bikers are included in this category. An added bonus is that the Ferry master is always a good fellow to chat to about the condition of the coming road. The outlook: "Not good." I pressed on however, still determined to make it to the Point.

After departing the ferry it was a short ride of 500m to take me to Plommer road - a non-designated public road that receives little maintenance. After about 6km's of relatively smooth dirt which was great to get the cadence up and stretch the legs out, I spotted the first one, a shimmering mass spanning the entire width of the road. As I gaze past I spot not one but many, many more, lined up like sentries. It was apparent that I was to pay in order to make it to the Point. So I settle in for the long haul and throw the bike over my shoulder, genuinely excited about the next part of the adventure. However, after another 1km of 'olympic-sized-swimming-pool' hopping, the sides of the depressions became steeper and increasingly difficult to by-pass. At this stage I met a motorcyclist who informed me that the remainder of the journey to the Point would be much the same, and stopped to consider my options. At that point a 4wd rounded the bend and headed for the next hole, I almost lost site of it as the water cascaded over the bonnet. The decision was made; I would turn around and try again another day.

So a detour for lunch on the beach and the 12k's of tarmac to home would end this adventure.

J-Boy

Coming soon, Part 2; The bit where I actually make it to the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment